Our aim at HMP Birmingham is to offers a wide range of training and work opportunities.
There are four main working workshops which include:
Industrial cleaning and bio-hazard Workshop
This provides the opportunity for prisoners to gain qualifications linked to employment opportunities on release. In addition this also provides a valuable and cost effective service to the Prison and real work experience
- this workshop which supports the delivery of NVQ Performing and Manufacturing Operatives
- this provides single portion packing and DHL canteen services and supports the delivery of NVQ Performing and Manufacturing Operatives
Prison - laundry workshop
- this provides a laundry service for the Prison and external contracts.
In addition there are specific wing working schemes which deliver the following vocational qualification:
- Industrial Cleaning, for wing cleaners
- Food Hygiene, kitchen for servery workers
- Basic Health & Hygiene for wing barbers
In addition part-time literacy and numeracy support is provided through the education provision for prisoners in the workshops. Prisoners are encouraged to join the Toe by Toe Scheme for peer support on the wings.
The Basic Food Hygiene Certificate is delivered within the Catering Department and outreach areas through the education provision. The Manchester College also deliver NVQ Catering.