At HMP Birmingham the catering is provided in partnership with Aramark, one of the largest food service providers in the world.
The catering department provides meals 3 times daily for prisoners and oversee a breakfast and lunch service in the staff restaurant.
The menu rotates on a four weekly basis concentrating on promoting healthy choices whilst catering for all dietary, ethnic and special diets as prescribed by the prison doctor. Food is ordered via a weekly pre-select system and the choices are delivered to the units by a hot trolley system.
Safety and hygiene are of paramount importance when working with food, and at HMP Birmingham we ensure all prisoners receive a range of training opportunities. The Aramark staff provide prisoners with training which is refreshed on a regular basis. Some examples of training include:
- Safe food handling
- Healthy cooking techniques
- Operation of catering equipment
- Safe knife drill
- Reporting sickness and accidents
- Energy Conservation in the kitchen
- Fire procedures
- Control of substances hazardous to health regulations
- Menu planning
In line with HMP Birmingham’s commitment to providing prisoners with training opportunities Prisoners are offered VRQ and NVQ courses in Catering and Hospitality. These are in partnership with Aramark and Manchester College and can include:
- RSPH Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate
- City & Guilds NVQ Level 1 & Level 2 Food Preparation
- City & Guilds VRQ in Food Service